Dusk’s Golden Hour

Within a busy week opportunity for travel along former routes of home permits departure from the whirring, buzzing, routinized rhythm and press of town Life. An hour upon the road gathers me to others and I listen and we talk, good, informing chatter. The gathering, done, permits time beyond meeting to slow down and attend to what I see in that dusky golden hour of half-light. My look-round occurs through the lens attached to my Canon 60D. At the Anglican Cemetery in Fort Vermilion, Alberta I begin; many of the grave markers are granite headstones. Others, painted or stained wooden crosses, seem more temporary. Perhaps maintenance of this tentative grave marker highlights practice in looking after those who have gone before us.

I point my car northward toward High Level. My drive from home out to Fort Vermilion has given me windshield time, time to look out from my car’s windows and to note the snowless earth that is warming, thawing and drying. As we move into summer, hours of sunlight will extend backward into earlier mornings and forward into later evenings. Summer solstice will see the sun dip below the horizon at 11:45 p.m. and reappear at 2:30 a.m., the time between being a protracted period of half-light that photographers refer to as their golden hour when the intensity of light drops off and the quality of light and what is lit changes. At its darkest, there will be a gray eeriness. Tonight, I’ve been able to catch cattails within our current golden hour (at about 9:45 p.m. the sun has just dipped below the horizon). Shallow depth of field permits focus and highlight of subject and the generalization of shapes that pattern into the background.

Listening to – two female voices; first, seeing Aimee Mann within my iTunes catalogue sparked curiosity toward her work with Til Tuesday – I’ve purchased two different versions of Voices Carry.  Then, in relation to psalm 23, I was curious as to whether or not Sarah Masen was able to have her album, The Dreamlife of Angels, made available through iTunes.  It’s been about ten years since Stocki first played it on Rhythm and Soul; at the time, a major record deal was not in the offing. But, now her album is something I’ve just found and it’s about time.  Sarah is an intelligent lyricist; her song The Valley references psalm 23, making you think, and a curiously interesting tune called Hope is worth the listen.  What else – The Five Blind Boys of Alabama will feature at Edmonton’s Winspear Centre along with Over the Rhine on June 10th.  Good schtuff … if you’re to take it in.

Quote to Inspire – “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams

8 comments for “Dusk’s Golden Hour

1. May 5, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Beautiful photos. Dusk is my favorite time of day….massages out the stress of the day.

• May 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

PS: Especially like the first shot Toward Peace River. Stunning!

• May 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Toward the Peace River – the shot is taken from a look-out on the Southern bank across from the Fort Vermilion Agricultural Research Station. While I like this shot, and while it says much about us living in the land of the midnight sun, I am still searching out the Peace River in and around Fort Vermilion and La Crete for river shots. For me, it’s the immensity of the river … the distance covered front to back in the shot is about three miles. Take care. 🙂

• May 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

It’s a favourite time of day for me, too, Angeline; I used to love walking in Edmonton’s river valley with a friend; diminishing light seems to draw out intimacy/poignancy in talk and awareness of each other. Enjoy your Saturday. 🙂

2. May 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Truly beautiful shot, one and all.
    anne

• May 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Hey there, Anne … thanks for looking in and finding connection to the photos. Good schtuff!

3. May 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Beautiful photos!

• May 8, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Hello, hello Fergiemoto:

Thank you for looking in and your kind words; I’m enjoying your quotes on the creative process – a definite resource. 🙂