Time Out (in the Brubeck sense)

The Blue Hills - Buffalo Head Prairie, Alberta

The Blue Hills – Buffalo Head Prairie, Alberta

Taking time-out in the Brubeck sense, there being too much to do, having completed one huge step along a bigger task, clearing my head with photography before tackling the next huge step. This image is taken on a stretch of road behind the highway connecting Blue Hills to Buffalo Head Prairie, Alberta. The intention had been to use three F-10 images of the same scene with focus-stacking software to produce a merged, focused image utilizing the lens’ strongest point of focus with various focal points in the scene. I didn’t get that far. I didn’t purchase focus-stacking software. Instead, I used HDR Efex Pro to merge the three shots. I’m liking the result, an image that would suit a Thanksgiving theme, the harvest complete, the field prepared for spring and a move toward quieter, less hectic work. Good.

Listening to – A Mash-up of Radiohead vs Dave Brubeck – Five Step; have a listen and watch … http://www.kewego.co.uk/video/iLyROoafJd5s.html ; also, listening to Bruce Cockburn’s ‘My Beat’ and ‘Wondering Where the Lions Are.’

Quote to Consider – “It is not altogether wrong to say that there is no such thing as a bad photograph – only less interesting, less relevant, less mysterious one.” – Susan Sontag, ‘On Photography’

6 comments for “Time Out (in the Brubeck sense)

1. November 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Stunning image. I like the intensity of it.

• November 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM

Hey there, Tim:

Thanks. I’m hoping to try some focus-stacking with the same image … one of these days.

😉

• November 17, 2014 at 11:01 AM

You are welcome. I’d just heard about focus stacking from Tony Sweet who was a featured speaker at a photography conference I attended. I’d like to learn more. I guess a Google search would work. I’ll need to add it to a growing list of projects.

2. January 6, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Saw Brubeck back in ’88…Amazing. Time Out (and Time Further Out) often run through my head while I’m in the air. Great music to blend with visual sensations.

• January 14, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Hello, hello …

Wow … you saw Brubeck – I was in Toronto for a few weeks that summer; and, my father got to see him, then. I’ve had Time Out playing in the truck this week … a strong reminder of home and Dad playing different songs on his 1964 Heintzman piano – Bru’s Boogie Woogie was a lot of fun!

Thanks for stopping by. 😉

3. January 7, 2015 at 12:57 PM

I like the composition, choosing I think the edge of the road to lead the eye on its journey to the Blue Hills.