Winter Warmth

Winter Road - Blumenort, Alberta 1
Winter Road – Blumenort, Alberta 1
Winter Road - Blumenort, Alberta 2
Winter Road – Blumenort, Alberta 2
Grain Drying Operation - High Level, Alberta
Grain Drying Operation – High Level, Alberta

It’s cold this morning – -33C with a wind chill of -39C. Some school bus routes have been cancelled. Steam from chimneys and exhaust fumes from vehicles mingle and hang in the air. Warmth will be needed to be outside today; what is worn will count as will the food used to keep the body’s furnace going and primed. It will be good to be moving rather than to stand still. And, in a day or two we’ll round that corner of the earth’s orbit marked by Winter solstice (that darkest, longest night of the year) and then we’ll begin our return trek back to days with more and longer hours of light.

Images – winter scenes around High Level, Alberta.

Quote to Consider – “Photographs really are experience captured, and the camera is the ideal arm of consciousness in its acquisitive mood. To photograph is to appropriate the thing photographed. It means putting oneself into a certain relation to the world that feels like knowledge — and, therefore, like power.” – Susan Sontag, On Photography

Listening to – Loreena McKennitt, a celtic exploration of music – songs in my hearing include ‘Mummers’ Dance, Huron ‘Beltane’ Fire Dance and Annachie Gordon; I was surprised to find Canadian, Loreena McKennitt’s version of Annachie Gordon showing up on Irish radio playlists last night.

13 Comments Add yours

1. redjim99 says:

Always the road, who knows where it will lead as we head into the new year, Merry Christmas to you and yours.

1. Hey there, Jim:

As always I’m happy to be sharing some parts of this road with you. Thank you for your warm and reasoned influence and for participating in all that this is.

Take care. 🙂

2. LB says:

You have captured warmth, yet still a cold winter … and I do love winter! Enjoy this holiday season!

1. Hey there, Laurie:

My hope and wish for you is that you find the warmth of family and friends within this Christmas season.

Take care … hoping to read about that new camera one of these days. 😉

3. Vit Peyr says:

You capture light so beautifully.

1. Hey there, Vit:

Like you, I’m an evolving photographer (albeit in this northern hemisphere), learning as I go – seeing your work, I appreciate these very kind words. I also, appreciate how you are working with, handling and holding light within images – beautiful schtuff!

Thank you & continue to explore the light … take care 😉

4. 2me4art says:

Shockingly stunning photographs ~amy

1. Hey there, Amy:

Thank you for having a look around here on the blog and for your kind words.

Take care ….

5. JF says:

Wonderful photos! I also like your ideas of adding: “Listening to…and quotes”.

1. Hey there, Jf …

Thanks for looking in and your encouragement. I’m liking your photos and paintings.

You’ll have to add a listening to and quotes section, too, to your posts.

😉

1. JF says:

“Listening to” is not applicable to me as I am practically deaf. I’ll use quotes section when I finish with posting of daily quotes.