Buttertown Moon

Buttertown Moon, Fort Vermilion, Alberta

Buttertown Moon, Fort Vermilion, Alberta

Colourful streams of cloud cluster around the moon framed by Buttertown trees – a good end to a long day, a reward for taking a couple of extraordinary tasks through their next steps. The work of the evening was to move my thoughts away from an expedient drive and to a relaxed and searching drive investigating all that was happening around me. This photo was the result of seeing what else was around me in my 360 degree survey of the landscape following a photo of a Fort Vermilion homestead cabin. The colours have been amplified somewhat and the image is an HDR image. I’m liking the result.

Listening to – U2’s Bad … and a lecture on U2’s ‘Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,’ an enigmatic idea on many levels.

Quote to Inspire – “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you aren’t close enough” – Robert Capa

6 comments for “Buttertown Moon

1. September 12, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Stunning! And U2’s “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” is one of my personal favs. Says a lot about my life right now.

• September 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Hey there, Gina:

Doesn’t that describe any of us photographers … a restlessness, always in pursuit of the photo or tomorrow’s photo. Bono’s likely referring to human nature and a void to be filled that tends not to be filled easily or with something/things that leave a satisfying residue. I hadn’t thought of it until now … but he may be talking about the satiation effect – being sated for a while and then wanting more.

Thanks for looking in … and letting me know that the image connects with you. Good schtuff! Take care. 😉

2. September 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Beautiful composition–great work!

• September 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Hey there, Kenn:

Thank you for your words … this is one of those photos that seems to work and I’m not entirely sure I understand at this point how it draws/attracts … something I’ll be considering for a few days. It may be that the composition is about colour and how colour is used – something to study and think on.

Take care … 😉

3. September 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I’m trying to find software to create the HDR image, I have downloaded some freeware, but aligning the images is cumbersome. How do you manage it, fast multi shots? My camera can’t seem to save the image fast enough to avoid movement. And I know I need a new tripod now. My lightweight one isn’t doing it.

I have a greater appreciation of the shots you have produced now. All good fun, and I am getting to grips with the new firmware in my Canon Powershot. I hope to have something worthwhile to show soon.

• September 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM

All my HDR shots are done on tripod; so, three shots in succession don’t have any movement (except for the wind blowing foliage). At $100 (60 pounds) Photomatix is software that will do the trick. You can find it at http://hdr101.com/photomatix-promotion.php?engsec=3&query=photomatix . For tripod I’m using a Manfrotto with quick release and I’ve used it with a pistol grip and have just switched to a ball head. Have a look at these in a camera shop; I first saw one in a demonstration class with the Ditch Divas in Grande Prairie at the McNaughton homestead. It’s good to have the practicality of photography demonstrated … in front of you so you can try things out.

Take care … 😉