The Practical – Practically

Gull Lake Homestead - Up Close, Fort Vermilion, Alberta Canada 1

Gull Lake Homestead – Up Close, Fort Vermilion, Alberta Canada 1

Gull Lake Homestead - Up Close, Fort Vermilion, Alberta Canada 2

Gull Lake Homestead – Up Close, Fort Vermilion, Alberta Canada 2

Gull Lake Homestead - Up Close, Fort Vermilion, Alberta Canada 3

Gull Lake Homestead – Up Close, Fort Vermilion, Alberta Canada 3

Dave Brosha offered a photography workshop last spring in Fort Vermilion, Alberta. One day was devoted to portrait photography; another was about landscape photography. The workshop allowed for many practical demonstrations (talked through practically) and for us to review and critique our photographs together as a group. There was also the encouragement to get together and get out as a shooting group. We had opportunities to watch Dave edit using Adobe Lightroom and one of the surprises that I’ve held onto was that the erase function (a circle area that you direct within the image to eliminate things like dust spots could be dragged instead of only clicked on much like an eraser to erase areas of the image). The images presented here are from our landscape work and in the Gull Lake homestead picture I’ve been able to remove a person from the photo with the erase function.

Gratitude – thank you, Dave. It was good to meet you and to witness your energy and approach as a photographer. It was good to take you into Buttertown to the St. Louis Catholic mission, a place that had been part of distant childhood memories for you with your Dad. Take good care of your good self.

Listening to – the Verve’s ‘Bittersweet Symphony,’ U2’s ‘In God’s Country,’ Coldplay’s ‘Life in Technicolor’ and Depeche Mode’s ‘Policy of Truth.’

Quote to Consider – “There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.” – Ernst Haas (1921-1986)

7 comments for “The Practical – Practically

1. May 7, 2015 at 1:50 PM

looks like a pretty useful workshop

• May 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM

Hey there, Maureen:

Perhaps you have experienced a similar kind of workshop as a writer, one in which you, the presenter and the group fall into a cadence of interest, thought, dialogue … sort of moving together, exploring what’s next and how. Definitely a useful workshop.

P.S. – A while back you had a new children’s book published; what’s the name of it? I was showing my wife (grade 1 teacher) your site and couldn’t find it.

• May 7, 2015 at 10:38 PM

Fearless Fred and the Dragon – he has a page on my site. I’m working on another one at the moment.

• May 8, 2015 at 7:36 PM

Thank you, Maureen – I’ve looked again at your website and given my wife the web URL … http://kiwis-soar.com/fearless-fred/ .

It’s good to read of your work with another project. Take care … 😉

• May 8, 2015 at 9:24 PM

Thanks for that encouragement

2. LB
    May 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM

I always enjoy reading what you listening to. And of course, the photography is eye catching. It’s been awhile since I’ve had time to visit though.
    It’s good to hear what you’ve been up to.

• May 27, 2015 at 7:08 AM

Hey there, Laurie:

It looks like you have been very active and that rides and friends and Sundays are a big part of things. Definitely, try out a Go-pro one of these times so that you can tantalize us with the beauty of the Eastern Seaboard and New England states. On Friday night, I asked three friends about their motorcycles and the rides they’ve taken and whether or not they had them in their youth. As a youth, while under my father’s roof I was never to consider one; so, it was often on weekends with friends’ dirt bikes that I got my first sense of motorcycles. One of my cousins had a Honda that we’d ride on in the early seventies. But, a motorcycle has never been my own means of transportation; and, my father’s fear for us as kids on motorcycles still resounds in the back of my mind.

You speak of campaigning … and I couldn’t at first scan of Life on a Bike determine the office you were aiming for. Are you campaigning?

Current goings on – I have just been through a weekend of graduation and photographing the event (this must be my fifth time doing so); photos of the students’ grand entrance, their inspiring and inspirational speakers, their receipt of diploma, another entrance without grad gowns and their dance. Hopefully the images edit and turn-out well.

Laurie – you have beautiful photos capturing sense of time and place and camaraderie. Very good schtuff!