Penned Deere

John Deere 620 2 - Utah

John Deere 620 2 – Utah

John Deere 620 1 - Utah

John Deere 620 1 – Utah

The family archive of photos taken in the years my brothers and I grew up holds memorable photos of us steering a John Deere 4010 tractor under the watchful eye of cousins. Over the years there would be many rides on swathers, on tractors pulling hay racks, balers and bale stackers; there would be time in a grain truck and times when barlage would be collected and stored. There would be two Harvestore silos, towering high in the air and my cousin’s counter-weight innovation that allowed for the ride to the top of the tower and the descent back to the ground. The awareness and understanding that there were tractors that preceded the John Deere 4010 by decades is something I’ve come to understand more in later years. Here, is a John Deere 620 – along a highway in southeastern Utah, penned and perhaps ready for auction … or perhaps there and waiting for the would-be buyer.

Listening to – much of the soundtrack to ‘Good Will Hunting’ – Jeb Loy Nichols’ ‘As the Rain,’ Elliot Smith’s ‘Angeles’ and The Dandy Warhols’ ‘Boys Better.’

Quote to Consider – “Every page of On Photography raises important and exciting questions about its subject and raises them in the best way.” —The New York Times Book Review

9 comments for “Penned Deere

1. Doris
    September 18, 2014 at 12:42 PM

This makes me so nostalgic; my father had a fascination for tractors.

Very lovely photos!

• September 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I have a young nephew who at age two is fascinated with tractors and what they are used for … Good schtuff!

Thank you for looking in, and for shared nostalgia. 😉

2. September 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM

great photo of an old workhorse

• September 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Hey there, Maureen:

I’m liking the colours of Wellington in your photos – especially the paint splatter. Good, good. 🙂

• September 18, 2014 at 11:10 PM

thank you! 🙂

3. September 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM

nice shots! love the palet of colours, really makes me imagine the place and the mood 🙂

• September 20, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Hello, hello …

It’s good to read that this photo connects with you – these are colours I associate with my cousin’s farming, my childhood and youth … there’d be the sound of the diesel engine and the fresh smell of diesel combusted and exhausted that is also a part of recollection.

Good schtuff! Thank you for your kinds words and for looking in. Take care. 😉

4. LB
    September 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM

The beauty of a tractor. pretty incredible!