Meditative Original

Winter Rails at Sunset - Rycroft, Alberta

Winter Rails at Sunset – Rycroft, Alberta

Winter Crossroads - Rycroft, Alberta

Winter Crossroads – Rycroft, Alberta

Yield Sign - Rycroft, Alberta

Yield Sign – Rycroft, Alberta

That day – I enjoyed it. Days away that my wife encouraged when the draw back to work and home was the safer, more familiar choice; listening to her I got a hotel room, stayed put, slept and the next morning, looked anew at the world with my camera. Any camera work is about venturing beyond one’s Life script, that next thing needing done, the next thing needing to be said or listened through, that next place to be. You discover your original self as you come against the touchstone of encountering what is new through the lens of your camera and creating an image – you become more of you in the encounter of learning through seeing once again. Something similar is surely meant when photography is considered meditation.

These images are on a backroad near Rycroft, Alberta returning home.

Listening to – The Lumineers’ ‘Stubborn Love,’ Our Lady Peace’s ‘Wipe that Smile Off Your Face’ and Bruce Springsteen’s ‘One Step Up.’

Quote to Inspire – “The camera is an excuse to be someplace you otherwise don’t belong. It gives me both a point of connection and a point of separation.” Susan Meiselas

12 comments for “Meditative Original

1. Joe
    November 20, 2013 at 5:55 AM

Spectacular work.

• November 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Hey there, Joe:

Thanks for your kind works and for looking in … good schtuff! 😉

2. November 20, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Stunning schtuff – my mouse hand got cold scrolling through these.

• November 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Hey there, Deni:

And, then, … in the half-light, hearing something large move upon the frozen ground, dark and unseen, behind me, likely a farmer’s cow, curious and blending into darker elements of the immediate landscape – adding to the moment.

Cold, with a touch of foreboding ….

Hope you’re warm and feeling palpable heat over in Kent. 😉

3. November 21, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Great post, and *love* the quote! Oh, and the pics are good, too. :).

• November 21, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Good schtuff, John …

Thanks for looking in and finding the quote … one of the many things photography is about.

Take care … 😉

4. November 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Nice shots

• November 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Hello, hello …

Thanks for looking in and the encouragement. I have had a few moments at your blog and enjoyed the section of blogs you have found value in and recommend. Thank you for that.

Take care …. 😉

5. LB
    November 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I can almost feel the temperature! You have made me travel to that intersection.
    The quote is so very true … the point of separation and also connection.
    Lovely post!

• November 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Hey there, LB:

It is cold. And, while warmth is one thing to pursue there’s a counter-intuitive pursuit, to be out and among others rather than cocooning – sleeping, resting and isolating oneself from the world. Photography ‘is’ indeed about the separation and connection that occurs paradoxically in one moment when the camera is aimed, the lens focused and shutter opens and closes. I’m hoping you are warmer than we currently are.

Take care … 🙂

6. December 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Great details in the tracks of the crossroads. Amazing sunset. Catching the evening star(?) at the end of the rails. Nice feeling coming through here.

• December 5, 2013 at 6:04 AM

The crossroads seemed an opportunity to consider the visual metaphor of a crossroad in Life. Visually, the photo allows a look down one road, yet not the three other opportunities, one of which was the road I had travelled on to this point. And, the image has me consider being pulled to our Life choices in terms of what we can see (perhaps understand). Tangentially, it’s had me consider Robert Frost and his work, ‘The Road Not Taken.’

The Road Not Taken – Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
      And sorry I could not travel both
      And be one traveler, long I stood
      And looked down one as far as I could
      To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
      And having perhaps the better claim,
      Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
      Though as for that the passing there
      Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
      In leaves no step had trodden black.
      Oh, I kept the first for another day!
      Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
      I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
      Somewhere ages and ages hence:
      Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
      I took the one less traveled by,
      And that has made all the difference.

Enjoy your Thursday, Jim 😉