Fence Post – What Was, Is What We Now See

Fence Post 4

Fence Post 4

Fence Post 5

Fence Post 5

Fence Post 6

Fence Post 6

2012 – we will soon close-out 2012 and all that has been our photography through this year. Many of you have made your way to wordpress along a similar path, catalyzed by the prospect of a photo-a-day improving how we approach photography and taking that daily step of opening and closing a camera shutter, editing a photo and then loading the image (most times with comment) into your wordpress blog. I am in awe of the immensity of this endeavor and grateful to be in receipt of that recursive back and forth of dialogue, something that has created synergy and momentum in each of us returning to our wordpress blog with new images each day. Very good schtuff!

Each of you has been example to me. Each of you has captured images of Life being lived – medias res. Your photos contain mood, capture moment, find humour. I am indebted to each of you for those images of yours that stay with me, that I think about through the day and week. With likes, comments and encouragement, you’ve nudged me forward, further and further with photography this year and I have pushed the envelope in big ways. For all this, I am grateful … thank you for your part in what my 2012 has been.

Take good care of your good, good selves … and enjoy the season as best you can – Merry Christmas.

Former Field Anchor – the photo presented here is another fence post found around Sangudo, Alberta. Again, the play has been in find ways to represent this image.

Listening to – Bruce Springsteen’s Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, John Lennon and Yoko Ono’s Happy Christmas (War is Over), Brenda Lee’s Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree, Chubby Checker & Bobby Rydell’s Jingle Bell Rock and Perry Como’s Home for the Holidays.

Quote to Inspire – “All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.” – Elliott Erwitt

12 comments for “Fence Post – What Was, Is What We Now See

1. December 22, 2012 at 4:13 AM

No, not a former life = this is.

• December 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Agreed – a former life yields what this now is …. 🙂

2. Nicole da Rosa
    December 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

So beautiful!

xx

3. December 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Thank you also for your inspirational photographs – and editing – although in this fencepost series I like the natural one best. Somehow old fence posts have a unique charm. A very happy Christmas to you

• December 23, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Hello, hello …

With photos, beyond taking the picture, editing is where most discovery is (perhaps you find this in writing); often I understand more about the photo working through different renderings of an image. For instance, the crossed barbed wire is something barely highlighted in the original shot; were I to shoot this fence post again or perhaps another I would maybe work it from a macro level or with a prime lens … the intent would be to draw focus and highlight to the pattern of the crossed wired … it might even work better with different light and shadow – all yet to be revealed … in next photos.

Merry Christmas back to you from a very white, yet dark, snow-covered world, here in Edmonton.

Lumens …

P.S. – I’ve been able to order Jostein Gaarder’s book – The Christmas Mystery – from Audrey’s Books, here in Edmonton; they think one week should do it … we’ll see. 🙂

• December 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

That’s great

4. December 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Beautiful pictures and a great quote at the end, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

• December 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

The quote may really be what photography is about … the ability to notice … to see what’s there.

You too … Merry Christmas and Happy New Year …. 🙂

Lumens

5. December 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM

A very nice series. Merry Christmas, and take care! 🙂

• December 26, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement through 2012 … Merry Christmas to you, too.

6. January 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM

As you might have guessed, I am just now catching up with some of my favorite bloggers. Speaking personally, I have truly enjoyed your photos and hope to continue, as your flavor for photography has inspired me in many ways. So thank you and have the very best of this new year. Be well and stay blessed.

• January 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Hey there, Gina:

You have me thinking that we should collect a gaggle of common thinking, common-sighted photobloggers (the ones we interact with in our blogs) for a weekend’s photowalk in some corner of the world that each of us would discover through lens, camera and eye. Over coffee and meals, craft, practice and workflow could be shared … and perhaps enhanced. Perhaps this is more hoped for than practical.

Thank you for your part in what my blog is …

Take care … 🙂