After Dan Kameka, the Dunvegan Bridge

Dunvegan Bridge HDR 1 (Reduced Size)

Dan Kameka, an artist and photographer in Alberta’s Peace Region has spurred me forward in this never-done photograph that I captured yesterday. I first became acquainted with Dan Kameka’s photography works at Grande Prairie’s Trumpeter hotel; there, I saw two eight-foot photographs, one a retro-green grain elevator (possibly United Grain Growers) and a second image of farming machinery from former times, a beautiful cluster of a Fargo grain truck with granaries now disused in a snow-dusted, winter fallow field.

That was ten years ago. Two years ago I found smaller versions of the same images for sale at Picture Perfect Frame & Gallery in Grande Prairie. In the set of images displayed I found two or three photographs by Dan Kameka that intrigued me because I wondered how they’d been taken. Of special interest was a Dunvegan Bridge photograph which intrigued because the riddle of working out where the photograph was taken from has stayed with me through these two years. The shot I have taken is likely taken at a point close to the location Dan would have used in capturing his image of the Dunvegan Bridge. Yesterday’s never-done was about riddling this through and then daring to navigate to the site which presented its own challenges, a task taking me from my car to the site and back in ninety or so minutes; it’s only been in the last two months that I’ve known how he probably had done it.

About this photo – this photograph associates to another I’ve posted entitled Alberta Fissure.  It is the complement to this image and is taken from a point behind the far left of this image and it looks down the valley from the high left through to the expanse of the valley to the right in this image. This photograph is one of several high dynamic range (HDR) shots I’ve created with automatic exposure bracketing; but it is the first in which cloud cover accentuates significantly adding drama. In this picture I’m impressed with the zoom lens compression of distance. The bridge itself is one kilometre long reaching over the Peace River at a narrower point.  The extrapolation then is that from the point I’m standing at taking the picture to the top of the S-curve on the other side of the valley is a distance of perhaps two to two-and-a-half kilometres. It would take a car travelling at 100 km/h about one minute to travel from the top of the S-curve to the point at which I stood near the highway incline. A significant distance is captured in this photograph.

Thank you Dan for those beautiful, intriguing photographs that capture my wonder and memory; you’ve had a hand in spurring me on not only with this photograph, but with my photography.

Listening to – Sarah Masen’s The Valley, Ziggy Marley’s Love is My Religion and Willard Grant’s Evening Mass.

Quote to Inspire – “There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” – Ansel Adams

8 comments for “After Dan Kameka, the Dunvegan Bridge

1. March 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Hey, Lumens. It took forever for your post to show up. I figured it was the size of the picture, and I was right. It’s 15MB and a huge 5182×3453 pixels in size! Of course, it won’t show up at 5182×3453 pixels in WordPress, so you’re basically just wasting a lot of space and a lot of bandwith. It’s a great picture but lots of people are not as patient as I am. If you were to resize it before you uploaded it, you’d still have the beauty but it would load a lot faster, and you’d probably get more Likes. My pictures are also 5182×3453 pixels, but I resize them to 550 pixels on the longest side before uploading them. That makes the file size about 100kb without losing any resolution for posting on the Internet. Let me know if you need some help.

• March 5, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I concur.

• March 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Hey there, Russell:

Thank you for pointing me to what has likely been more than a minor annoyance to many potential blog viewers/readers. I’ll have a go at resizing the images tonight and check-out how image resolution and size turn out with these same photos.

I am in your debt …

• March 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM

If you’re using Windows 7 or Vista, try this image resizer: http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/image-resizer-powertoy-clone-for-windows-7vista/
        I use it and love it. I do all my work (Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Lightroom) and then the last thing I do is resize the pictures that I want to upload.
        If you’re using an Apple product, you’re on your own. I have a 28-year-old policy against anything made by Apple, unless it’s The Beatles’ Apple.

• March 5, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Hey there, Russell:

I opened the image with Microsoft Picture Manager and reduced the image to the large size of a web document. It seems to work.

• March 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM

The only reason why I use Picture Resizer is because it’s a simple right click from within Windows Explorer. You can resize hundreds, even thousands of pictures virtually instantaneously. I have not found any other software that lets me do that.

• March 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hello again, Russell:

I finally got round to downloading the AVS Image software with the cluster of other tools. It does a remarkable job on resizing conversions … even according to original proportions of editing. Good, good schtuff! Thank you for pointing me towards the software. It’s good to be able to use something as functional as this with all the time that can go into putting the blog up.

I’m testing it out in my next post. 🙂

2. March 5, 2012 at 3:44 PM

WOW, this image is fantastic. Feeling a little jealous. Congratulations.